How to Buy
Products are Licensed, Not Sold
All Manifold®: software is
In addition, by acquiring Manifold products through the Online Store or by any other means you agree to the additional terms and conditions and procedures of sale. The terms and conditions include important provisions and helpful information. Please read them carefully to be sure you agree with them. Do not acquire Manifold products if you do not agree.
Two Types of Licenses
Manifold Release 9 is licensed as a desktop application. Manifold Release 8 can be used either as a desktop application similar to how desktop applications like Microsoft Word are used, or Manifold Release 8 can be installed on a web server to GIS-enable web sites using Manifold Release 8 IMS (Internet Map Server) capabilities built into all Manifold Release 8 editions except Personal Edition. In both cases, every machine that runs Manifold software must have a Manifold software license.
All Manifold licenses are licensed and copy protected using one of two mechanisms:
- Standalone licenses, authorized using a Serial number and Activation keys that locks each license to a single computer system. This is similar to how Microsoft Word and other such applications are typically licensed. Manifold Release 9 is licensed only as a standalone license. Manifold Release 8 GIS licenses acquired in smaller quantities or acquired for use on portable devices use this mechanism. Standalone licenses are fully paid licenses with no expiration.
- Floating licenses, for Manifold Release 8 authorized using a Manifold Release 8 License Server. Manifold Release 8 licenses acquired in larger quantities will frequently use this mechanism, which requires licensing of the Manifold Release 8 License Server product. For details on License Server please see the Manifold Release 8 License Server topic in the online version of Help. Manifold Release 9 is not available in floating licenses.
Highlights of Standalone Licenses
For a precise statement of licensing terms and conditions, please carefully read the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), which regulates the license agreement granted users. The following points provide informal guidance to guide users, but do not in any way replace the legal meaning and controlling impact of the EULA.
- One machine, one license, one user - Each machine that runs Manifold software or any part of Manifold software requires its own, unique Manifold software license. This is similar to how most consumer licenses for Microsoft Office operate. For example, if you want to run Microsoft Word on five machines you must have five licenses for Microsoft Word, one for each machine, so that each of your five users can run Manifold software on their machine. The one exception to this rule is that a Manifold software licensee may install Manifold software both on one desktop machine and also on a portable computer used principally by the licensee so long as Manifold software is not run on both machines at the same time.
- No Annual Fee - Licenses are fully paid licenses and are not annual rentals. Once a license has been installed and activated it will continue running forever until a major system change to the machine (major hardware change) or major system software change (new Windows edition installed, roll-back to before installation, etc.) requires use of a new Activation key. A license is a license for five Activation keys.
- No Maintenance Fees - No maintenance fee is required. Updates within the same Manifold software release level are free, provided users can download and install those updates without assistance from Manifold.
- Licenses do not include technical support - Manifold software licenses do not provide free technical support. Technical support products are available for a modest fee.
- Copy protection - Manifold software is copy protected using a serial number and Activation key system. A license to use Manifold software enables usage only within the copy protection system. Any attempt to circumvent the copy protection system terminates the license. Keep your serial number and Activation keys confidential to assure that your license rights are not terminated due to disclosure by someone else.
- One license, five re-installations - A Manifold software license is a license to use the serial number issued for that license to install and activate Manifold software on a single machine. Each serial number may be used to fetch five Activation keys, allowing an initial installation on a machine and then, in case of need due to hardware failure or system upgrades, up to four more re-installations. Normally, if the Manifold software license is honored and Manifold software is installed on a single system five Activation keys are plenty. After the first year Licensees get a free Activation key on a limited basis once a year, with special programs, such as the Covid-19 response, that may provide additional free keys.
- Five keys do not license five systems - The five activation key that a serial number can fetch do not authorize use on five different systems. They are provided to enable re-installation, if need be, on the single licensed system in case of hardware failure or Windows upgrades. Installing Manifold software on multiple systems may terminate the license when simultaneous usage on multiple systems is detected by the auto-revocation copy protection system.
- Unlimited Academic usage not authorized - Some academic users think that the availability of an Academic License donation program means they can buy a commercial Manifold software license and use it on as many machines as they like. This is very wrong and will result in revocation of the commercial license and the institution being "tagged" as a software pirate, resulting in denial of any subsequent applications for an Academic license grant. Academic users interested in the possibility of donations should see the Academic licensing page.
- Virtual Machines are Separate Machines - Attempting to install a single Manifold software serial number on more than one virtual machine will normally trigger the auto-revocation feature (given enough time) because it is likely that more than one virtual machine will be active at the same time. Manifold Release 8 GIS licenses in theory may be installed on a virtual machine provided that a separate license is acquired for each such virtual machine; however, the right way to do that in practise is to use License Server technology and floating licenses. Standalone licenses are difficult to install on virtual machines and will almost invariably be wasted in virtualization environments as virtual machines are created and discarded. For that reason, virtual machines are not supported for standalone licenses.
- Fail safe uses not authorized - Manifold software is not licensed for any uses in which the failure of the personal computer software technology employed will risk life, health, property or the environment in case of failure.
- Proof of licensing - Possession of a serial number is proof of licensing status. There is no need to update a license record. For discussion and examples of how serial numbers confer license status and are used to resolve any disputes, such as between partners, please see the Maintaining Your Manifold License topic in the online version of the user manual.
- Questions and Answers - See the Installation / Activation FAQ for answers to frequently asked questions.
Highlights of License Server Licenses
For details on License Server please see the Manifold Release 8 License Server topic in the online version of Help. Note that the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) also applies. The following points provide informal guidance to guide users, but do not in any way replace the legal meaning and controlling impact of the EULA.
- Simplified Administration - License Server allows installation of Manifold Release 8 software on an unlimited number of machines within your licensed organization without needing to keep track of serial numbers or activation keys for each individual machine. When users launch Manifold Release 8 GIS on an individual machine the License Server will be consulted to see if a floating license is available. If not all floating licenses are in use, authorization will be granted and Manifold will launch.
- Simplified Deployment - License Server allows Manifold Release 8 GIS licenses to be deployed using automated means, disk ghosting and similar methods for mass installations. It is also a perfect solution for utilizing Manifold Release 8 GIS licenses within virtualization environments so that individual, per-machine activations are not used up as virtual machines come and go.
- Large Savings - Floating licenses provide outstanding savings for large organizations. Consider an organization where 500 users might from time to time need to do GIS on their desktops but where experience shows that rarely more than 80 or so users will actually be doing GIS at any one time. Procuring License Server loaded with 100 floating licenses will be much less costly than using standalone licenses.
- Base price for License Server - A License Server license is $495 exclusive of the cost of floating licenses. A License Server installation will cost $495 plus the cost of however many floating licenses are desired. For example, a License Server loaded with 100 Universal x64 floating licenses will be $495 + $24500 = $24995. Quantity discounts do not apply to floating licenses. Runtime licenses are not available as floating licenses. Please see the Products page for current pricing.
- Dedicated IIS Machine - License Server operates as a web service within your local intranet using HTML protocol. To operate License Server, you must provide a Windows machine running IIS to host the License Server. You may not serve floating licenses outside your immediate licensed organization.
- Dedicated Licensing - Each License Server machine can host a single Manifold Release 8 edition. For example, if you would like to administer 100 Universal x64 licenses and 10 Professional x64 licenses you will need two License Server licenses (at $495 each) and two License Server machines.
- No Minimums - Although License Server installations are normally loaded with a significant number of floating licenses to serve the needs of larger organizations, there is no minimum required number of floating licenses. Many customers have procured a License Server license loaded with just one or two floating licenses. The usual reason is that the organization employs one or two GIS experts who require the convenience of working on any machine in the organization. Even with the initial cost of License Server, the combination is still much lower in cost than even a single license of old-fashioned GIS software.
- Easy Procurement and Growth - License Server installations are prepaid by check or wire transfer. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for procurement information. Once a License Server installation has been procured, additional floating licenses of that same type may be easily added.
A Cost-Effective Growth Strategy
Organizations will often begin work with Manifold GIS using standalone licenses, most often Universal Edition. As Manifold usage increases, organizations will often decide to step up to a License Server installation to use Manifold more widely by taking advantage of floating licenses. Organizations which step up to License Server almost inevitably will also need some standalone licenses for portable computer usage, so the initial standalone licenses won't be wasted: those standalone licenses will be moved to laptop computers when the organization's desktops begin using floating licenses administered by License Server.
Manifold Release 8 IMS Usage
When Manifold Release 8 GIS is installed on a web server, Manifold Release 8 GIS capabilities can be invoked from a web application to GIS-enable that web application. Please see the Internet Map Server page for details on IMS. In addition to the above comments, the following highlights apply:
- One license per web server - To run Manifold Release 8 IMS you only need a single Manifold Release 8 GIS license per web server machine, no matter how many processors are employed by that web server and no matter how many web applications are resident on that web server machine.
- Unlimited hits and client connections - Only a single Manifold Release 8 GIS license is required per web server machine no matter how many pages or client connections are served.
- No client licenses required - By default, web applications created using Manifold Release 8 IMS do not require any Manifold Release 8 software on client machines: all you need is a free web browser like IE or Firefox. Therefore, no Manifold Release 8 GIS license per client is required. Note: some applications architects may choose to create applications which utilize Manifold Release 8 GIS software on client machines. In that case a Manifold Release 8 GIS license will be required on the client machine.
Licensing for Applications Developers
Every Manifold software license is a development environment. There is no need to buy some separate "objects library" because each Manifold software license exposes the Manifold API. See the Advice for Applications Developers section in the What to Buy page.
Academic Licenses For Manifold Release 8
Under selected circumstances, Manifold will consider making Academic License grants to qualified institutions. For information on this donation program, please visit the Academic Licensing page.
Manifold Viewer is the free, read-only version of Manifold Release 9. Although Viewer cannot write projects or save edited data back out to the original data sources, Viewer provides phenomenal capability to view and to analyze almost all possible different types of data in tables, vector geometry, raster data, drawings, maps and images from thousands of different sources. Viewer includes full SQL as well, with hundreds of spatial and other analytic functions.
Viewer can also create and write spatial indices for entire folders full of LiDAR files, save connections to favorite files and data sources, and even edit and save localization files to translate Manifold into new languages.
Manifold Viewer delivers a truly useful, fully CPU-parallel and GPU-parallel Manifold tool that gives you parallel power and endless Manifold capabilities at zero cost. No need to register, no adware, no requests for donations and no selling: use Viewer however you like, including commercial purposes. You can even redistribute Viewer, all for free.
Viewer is a great way to share the amazing projects you create in Manifold for free. Publish multi-hundred GB projects created in Manifold that anybody can pop open in 1/10th second for free using Viewer. Publish projects that include automatic connections to your organization's databases and worldwide webserved data, and include pre-built, sophisticated analytics and dynamic reporting that users can launch with a point and click. Track pandemics, help first responders fight wildfires, or just help your organization do a better job.
Viewer's small download (only 50 MB), instant launch, and clean display - free of convoluted ribbons and endless, confusing buttons - make it perfect for unskilled users. With Viewer a million people can share the dazzling analytics and insights you create with a single $95 Manifold license, all at fully parallel speed with no need to pay for costly, cloud-based, web processing. Like Manifold, Viewer never crashes, no matter how big or complicated the job.See Viewer in action Watch the Manifold Viewer Introduction YouTube video.
"Mfd 9 is becoming a really good tool for sharing data with non-GIS folks. Clean interface makes it easy to teach others simple tasks. Easy to transfer a project. Easy to install software. Free viewer." - Forum post
Buy Now via the Online Store
Buy Manifold products on the Online Store. The store is open 24 hours / seven days a week / every day of the year. Orders are processed immediately with serial number email sent out in seconds. Use Manifold products today!
Suggestions to improve Manifold software are always welcome. Please see the Suggestions page for tips on making effective suggestions.
Manifold products deliver quality, performance and value in the world's most sophisticated, most modern and most powerful spatial products for GIS, ETL, DBMS, and Data Science. Total integration ensures ease of use, amazing speed, and unbeatably low cost of ownership, for only $95. Tell your friends!