How to Buy
Products are Licensed, Not Sold
All Manifold®: software is
By downloading and utilizing Manifold products you also agree to the Other Licenses required to use accessory components delivered for your use in conjunction with Manifold products. The Other Licenses page provides a list of such licenses, which are typical open source and similar licenses.
In addition, by acquiring Manifold products through the Online Store or by any other means you agree to the additional terms and conditions and procedures of sale. The terms and conditions include important provisions and helpful information. Please read them carefully to be sure you agree with them. Do not acquire Manifold products if you do not agree.
Manifold is licensed as a desktop application, authorized using a serial number that authorizes each license on a single computer system. This is similar to how Microsoft Word and other such applications are typically licensed.
For a precise statement of licensing terms and conditions, please carefully read the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), which regulates the license agreement granted users. The following points provide informal guidance to guide users, but do not in any way replace the legal meaning and controlling impact of the EULA.
- One machine, one license, one user - Each machine that runs Manifold software or any part of Manifold software requires its own, unique Manifold software license. This is similar to how most consumer licenses for Microsoft Office operate. For example, if you want to run Microsoft Word on three machines you must have three licenses for Microsoft Word, one for each machine, so that each of your three users can run Manifold software on their machine.
- No Annual Fee - Licenses are fully paid licenses and are not annual rentals. Once a license has been installed and activated it will continue running forever until a major system change to the machine (major hardware change) or major system software change (new Windows edition installed, roll-back to before installation, etc.) requires use of a new Activation key. A license is a license for five Activation keys.
- No Maintenance Fees - No maintenance fee is required. Updates within the same Manifold software release level are free, provided users can download and install those updates without assistance from Manifold.
- Licenses do not include technical support - Manifold software licenses do not provide free technical support. Technical support products are available for a modest fee.
- Copy protection - Manifold software is copy protected using a serial number and Activation key system. A license to use Manifold software enables usage only within the copy protection system. Any attempt to circumvent the copy protection system terminates the license. Keep your serial number and Activation keys confidential to assure that your license rights are not terminated due to disclosure by someone else.
- One license, five re-installations - A Manifold software license is a license to use the serial number issued for that license to install and activate Manifold software on a single machine. Each serial number may be used to fetch five Activation keys, allowing an initial installation on a machine and then, in case of need due to hardware failure or system upgrades, up to four more re-installations. Normally, if the Manifold software license is honored and Manifold software is installed on a single system five Activation keys are plenty. After the first year Licensees get a free Activation key on a limited basis once a year, with special programs, such as the Covid-19 response, that may provide additional free keys.
- Five keys do not license five systems - The five activation key that a serial number can fetch do not authorize use on five different systems. They are provided to enable re-installation, if need be, on the single licensed system in case of hardware failure or Windows upgrades. Installing Manifold software on multiple systems may terminate the license when simultaneous usage on multiple systems is detected by the auto-revocation copy protection system.
- Unlimited Academic usage not authorized - Some academic users think that the availability of an Academic License donation program means they can buy a commercial Manifold software license and use it on as many machines as they like. This is very wrong and will result in revocation of the commercial license and the institution being "tagged" as a software pirate, resulting in denial of any subsequent applications for an Academic license grant. Academic users interested in the possibility of donations should see the Academic licensing page.
- Virtual Machines are Separate Machines - Attempting to install a single Manifold software serial number on more than one virtual machine will normally trigger the auto-revocation feature (given enough time) because it is likely that more than one virtual machine will be active at the same time. Manifold Release 8 GIS licenses in theory may be installed on a virtual machine provided that a separate license is acquired for each such virtual machine; however, the right way to do that in practise is to use License Server technology and floating licenses. Standalone licenses are difficult to install on virtual machines and will almost invariably be wasted in virtualization environments as virtual machines are created and discarded. For that reason, virtual machines are not supported for standalone licenses.
- Fail safe uses not authorized - Manifold software is not licensed for any uses in which the failure of the personal computer software technology employed will risk life, health, property or the environment in case of failure.
- Proof of licensing - Possession of a serial number is proof of licensing status. There is no need to update a license record. For discussion and examples of how serial numbers confer license status and are used to resolve any disputes, such as between partners, please see the Maintaining Your Manifold License topic in the online version of the user manual.
- Questions and Answers - See the Installation / Activation FAQ for answers to frequently asked questions.
- One license per web server - To run Manifold Release 8 IMS you only need a single Manifold Release 8 GIS license per web server machine, no matter how many processors are employed by that web server and no matter how many web applications are resident on that web server machine.
- Unlimited hits and client connections - Only a single Manifold Release 8 GIS license is required per web server machine no matter how many pages or client connections are served.
- No client licenses required - By default, web applications created using Manifold Release 8 IMS do not require any Manifold Release 8 software on client machines: all you need is a free web browser like IE or Firefox. Therefore, no Manifold Release 8 GIS license per client is required. Note: some applications architects may choose to create applications which utilize Manifold Release 8 GIS software on client machines. In that case a Manifold Release 8 GIS license will be required on the client machine.
Manifold Release 8 IMS Usage
When Manifold Release 8 GIS is installed on a web server, Manifold Release 8 GIS capabilities can be invoked from a web application to GIS-enable that web application. Please see the Internet Map Server page for details on IMS. In addition to the above comments, the following highlights apply:
Licensing for Applications Developers
Every Manifold software license is a development environment. There is no need to buy some separate "objects library" because each Manifold software license exposes the Manifold API. See the Advice for Applications Developers section in the What to Buy page.
Academic Licenses For Manifold Release 8
Under selected circumstances, Manifold will consider making Academic License grants to qualified institutions. For information on this donation program, please visit the Academic Licensing page.
Manifold Viewer is the free, read-only version of Manifold Release 9. Although Viewer cannot write projects or save edited data back out to the original data sources, Viewer provides phenomenal capability to view and to analyze almost all possible different types of data in tables, vector geometry, raster data, drawings, maps and images from thousands of different sources. Viewer includes full SQL as well, with hundreds of spatial and other analytic functions.
Viewer can also create and write spatial indices for entire folders full of LiDAR files, save connections to favorite files and data sources, and even edit and save localization files to translate Manifold into new languages.
Manifold Viewer delivers a truly useful, fully CPU-parallel and GPU-parallel Manifold tool that gives you parallel power and endless Manifold capabilities at zero cost. No need to register, no adware, no requests for donations and no selling: use Viewer however you like, including commercial purposes. You can even redistribute Viewer, all for free.
Viewer is a great way to share the amazing projects you create in Manifold for free. Publish multi-hundred GB projects created in Manifold that anybody can pop open in 1/10th second for free using Viewer. Publish projects that include automatic connections to your organization's databases and worldwide webserved data, and include pre-built, sophisticated analytics and dynamic reporting that users can launch with a point and click. Track pandemics, help first responders fight wildfires, or just help your organization do a better job.
Viewer's small download (only 50 MB), instant launch, and clean display - free of convoluted ribbons and endless, confusing buttons - make it perfect for unskilled users. With Viewer a million people can share the dazzling analytics and insights you create with a single $95 Manifold license, all at fully parallel speed with no need to pay for costly, cloud-based, web processing. Like Manifold, Viewer never crashes, no matter how big or complicated the job.See Viewer in action Watch the Manifold Viewer Introduction YouTube video.
"Mfd 9 is becoming a really good tool for sharing data with non-GIS folks. Clean interface makes it easy to teach others simple tasks. Easy to transfer a project. Easy to install software. Free viewer." - Forum post
Buy Now via the Online Store
Buy Manifold products on the Online Store. The store is open 24 hours / seven days a week / every day of the year. Orders are processed immediately with serial number email sent out in seconds. Use Manifold products today!
Suggestions to improve Manifold software are always welcome. Please see the Suggestions page for tips on making effective suggestions.
Manifold® products deliver quality, performance and value in the world's most sophisticated, most modern and most powerful spatial products for GIS, ETL, DBMS, and Data Science. Total integration ensures ease of use, amazing speed, and unbeatably low cost of ownership. Tell your friends!